I've been using Gmail's labels for a very simple database. I email myself contact information (address, phone number, email address) for my friends, using the person's name as the subject line. Then I label the email with contact. When I want to look up the person's contact information, I can search name label:contact.

This also works for recipes. Email yourself each recipe as a separate email message, using the name of the dish as the subject line. Then label them with recipe. When you want to find a recipe in your database, search for dish/ingredients label:recipe.

What are other ways to use gmail as a lightweight database?

Labels:

4 comments:

AS wrote at Monday, December 5, 2005 at 8:44:00 AM PST

Amit gmail provides you to keep information about the contacts which is searchable. you can keep all information like address,phone etc and add your own too... and btw nice games you have been working on wid.. I created a few in high school but they hav been using gamemaker u can check out the software... it makes the job a lot easier (www.gamemaker.nl)

Anonymous wrote at Wednesday, December 28, 2005 at 3:53:00 PM PST

You can also use the 2 free GB (and possibly a different accnt than the usual) to store journal papers you wish to read... Different subjects will identify different areas. Thus your papers are reachable from anywhere you can login.

But the pdf files are not searchable, I keep them under obviously identifyable names such as:
FirstAuth_BitOfSubjectMatter_JournalAbbrev_Year.pdf

Anonymous wrote at Friday, January 27, 2006 at 12:29:00 AM PST

this is a very worst site to watch

Michael Locker MD wrote at Wednesday, March 22, 2006 at 2:30:00 PM PST

Interesting

Michael Locker MD